Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Penpals

Its almost one year when I was starting my old hobby. Writing letter ;p
Haha.. Yap..yap.. yap..
This is my fave hobby since I was in the middle school. I dont really remember why I was so interested to write letters for someone whom I never met, wasting time, wasting money to buy stamps and waiting for the reply. And if I was in bad luck, my letter could be lost somewhere and in the other words, it could be useless :(

At first, I really liked to fill quiz *especially crossword :)* on the magazine. My dad always supported me to try whether I will win or not, just try my luck :p. And after many trial, I WON. Yipppiee :D
I got jacket at the time. Although the jacket was supersize, but I was thankful *why did they gave XL jacket as a prize to the kid's quiz??? Strange -_-*.
Next day, I filled the crossword again and sent it, but I used my sister's name. I thought it was not fair if I win again. Lets give another chance to someone else *kindhearted?? lol*. At least that someone is my sister *big confidence ;p*

If I sent the quiz, I didnt really thought to win anyway. I just had some fun. So if I didnt find my name on the winner list, I was okay.

But I was really surprised when my sister's name was on the winner list. We were really happy :) My sister got a cute wall clock *we still have until now ^^*

And after the winning, suddenly there was a letter came to my home. It was for my sister. When we read it, it was from a girl who lived in Pangkal Pinang and she wanted to be my sister's penpal. Because she has the same age with me, I thought I want to write her my letter too.
Well.. She is become my first penpal at the time.. :)

Then I was looking for another penpals *searching on the winner list magazine*, hoping that they would reply. I was so happy, because so many of them replied and wanted to be my penpals. It was almost everyday I got letters. Even postmen in my city knew my name because they often came to my home ;p

As days go by, I grew up and so my penpals did. Some of them were suddenly missing and I lost contact but some of them were still writing to me until my first penpal moved to another city, I totally lost contact with her. It was so sad because she is my first penpal and I really like to talk with her. There was nothing I could do.. :(
And then when I was entering high school, I was busier than before, and didn't really thought about writing letter anymore. Though I was still wondering, what happened to my penpals' life. I hope they were okay..:)

Technology has shown so many progress especially internet. Fisrt social networking I've known is Friendster and I tried to look my lost friend at time. And tadaaaa... I found some of them. I was so surprised. Lol :)
They even still recognized me. Hehe...
But even technology made everything becomes easier and faster at the time,  we didnt talk as much as we used to be like writing on the letter. So strange, huh?

And after Facebook and Twitter are so popular nowadays, I also didn't talk much especially private things on it.

After I saw one of my friend. She was writing letters to her penpals in Italy. I asked her, what was like she wrote about. And she said everything. Her hobbies, fave stuff, our country, season, work even about her private life.
She reminded me...
I used to be like her.. :)
And she knew the feeling. How happy when I came home from school and saw an envelope *sometimes more than one!*. Couldn't wait to open it and read it. After I read it, I imagined what my penpal's told in her letter and usually I replied Ias soon as possible. And I asked my dad to post it in the post office. I will wait  and hoping next day I will get another letter.

I told to myself, why didn't I write again.. Hey, why not :)?

Later, I joined penpal club *thanks google :)*. Met some people outside Indonesia. Talk to them via email and connected by Facebook too. Some of them were interested to be my snail mail, but some of them thought that was toooooo snail *slow ;p*.
So here it does...
My first snail mail friend was from Korea :)
She sent me a new year greeting card last year. I was so excited. Haha.. I even looked for the letter and smiling like a fool. Wakakakakkk..

Anyway, I have penpals again now. They are abroad and has many things to share on their letter. I have penpals from Korea, Japan, Taiwan, Finland, Austria, Netherland, Sweden, Thailand and Uzbekistan now :)


Its so great to share stories with them...
Its so great to know we can talk through letters...
Its so great to know we are not alone :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me..