Sunday, October 14, 2012

Ferdinand The Bull



Two days ago I got a chance to join training for english teacher. The topic was about "Story Telling". Although Im not an english teacher, this is suitable for me as my students love to listen to a story.

I like to listen to a story but I dont like to tell story in front of so many audiences. Well.. with my students its kinda different and it doesnt matter to me, but to the audiences where they were all english teacher and even I was the youngest there, it really made me nervous.

When the last day of our training, we've been asked to tell a story and practice the technique that speaker did. The night before that, I was really really confused what story I should tell. In my head was only the Bible story or Disney's fairytale. So, I searched on internet, but I didnt get any clue.

But suddenly, one story was running inside my head. It was 'Ferdinand The Bull'



I knew this story when I watched 'The Blind Side' played by Sandra Bullock. Its my fave movie since then and also the story of Ferdinand :)

So, I decided to tell about Ferdinand that day. Dont ask me how did I look that day..hehe.. I was not a good story teller I guess but I realised how I love the story. Sometimes, Im wondering Ferdinand is like me..haha.. No.. no.. not because Im like a bull, I just thought his life is kinda like me ;p

Well.. anyway I want to tell you a lil' bit about Ferdinand. Oh.. by the way Ferdinand was written by Munro Leaf.

Once upon a time in Spain, there was a little bull named Ferdinand. All the other bulls he lived with would jump and run and also butt their heads. But not Ferdinand. He liked to sit just quietly and smell the flower. He had fave spot out under a cork tree. He would sit in its shade and smell the flowers.

Sometimes his mother would worry about him and thought he would be lonesome all by himself.
"Why dont you run and play with the other little bulls and skip and butt your head", said the mother.
But Ferdinand would shake his head and said "I like it better here where I can sit quietly and smell the flowers"
His mother saw that he was not lonesome and because she was an understanding mother, she let him there and be happy.

As the years went by, Ferdinand grew until he was very big and strong just like his friends. All his friends would fight each other because they wanted to be picked to fight at the bull fight in Madrid. But not Ferdinand, he still liked to sit just quietly under the cork tree and smell the flowers.
One day, five men came and wanted to pick the biggest, tallest and strongest bull to fight in bull fight. All the other bulls were running, snorting and butting their heads to show off to them. But not Ferdinand, he knew that they wouldn't pick him and He didnt care. He went out to his cork tree to sit down. He didnt look where he was sitting, instead of sitting on the grass, he sat on a bumble bee.
So, Ferdinand was sting by the bee and it was really hurt. So he was running, jumping and snorting.
The five men saw him and they thought he was showing off his power.
So, they picked him.

And the day of fight finally came. They had parade into the bull ring before the game was started. Flags were flying, bands were playing and all the lovely ladies had flowers in their hairs. There was also the matador, the proudest of all. He had a red cape and a sword to stick the bull. Then came the bull. It was FERDINAND.
They called him Ferdinand the Fierce.

So, Ferdinand ran to the middle ring and everyone was shouted and clapped because they thought he would going to fight fiercely and butt and stick his horns around.
But not Ferdinand. When he got to middle of ring, he saw the flowers in the lovely ladies hair and just sat down quietly and smelled the flowers.
He wouldnt fight and be fierce no matter what they did. The matador was mad and cried because he couldnt show off with his cape and sword.
So they had to take Ferdinand home.

And for all I know, he is sitting there still, under his fave cork tree, smelling the flower just quietly.
He is very happy...

Love this story.. :)
Dont be afraid to do something different from others. As long as it is right and makes you happy, why not?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me..